As a small business, deciding where to use your advertising dollars can be challenging. Which is better for my business – Google Ads or Facebook Ads? As digital marketing experts, we get asked this question by many clients. And most of the time, our answer is the same – It depends.
While both options are valuable advertising methods, one can be better depending on your business, goals, and target audience.
Let’s take a closer look at the benefits of each advertising platform.
Google Ads vs. Facebook and Instagram Ads
As your business grows, using both advertising platforms to boost future growth would be beneficial. With that in mind, let’s discuss the benefits of each platform – and tips to be as successful as possible.
When considering online advertising platforms, Google is often the first name people think of. Its experience and tenure in the online advertising space are powerful. And, with over 8.5 billion daily searches, Google serves ads to an audience actively searching for products, services, and information.
Google is constantly analyzing which search results are most useful, which means that ads served through their search network are specifically tailored to audiences who will find that advertisement helpful.
Businesses that find Google Ads useful include:
- Service-based businesses
- E-commerce companies
- Local businesses who want to appear on “near me” searches
- Dropshipping suppliers
Benefits of Google Ads
Google is the world’s most widely used search engine, accounting for 92% of the market share for all devices.
Because of this enormous market share, Google Ads typically offers better lead generation than social media advertising on its own. With over 100k searches per second, Google gets more eyes on your ads.
Additionally, given how the Google advertising network displays, Google Ads are highly targeted toward a searcher’s location.
Tips for advertising on Google Ads
- Use local targeting options if your business or services are only offered regionally.
- Target long-tail keywords when choosing keywords to help your ads target your desired customers.
- Create a clear business goal for your ads. Since Google Ads are concise, you must plan your ad content around a clear objective.
- Optimize your website’s landing page and have a clear and strong CTA that entices customers to purchase.
- Write an engaging description consistent with your landing page’s content. Customers expect to learn more when they click on an ad, so make sure you give it to them.
Read More: How to Choose the Right Keywords for Google Ads
Facebook and Instagram Ads
As of 2023, there are 8 billion on planet Earth – and 4.9 billion of them are using social media. Facebook is the biggest social media platform, with 2.9 billion monthly active users, and Instagram has 2.5 billion. These Meta social media platforms enable businesses to target their ideal customers.
Based on the data it collects from users (relationship status, important life events, favorite vacation spots, etc.), Facebook and Instagram categorize users into detailed audience types and serve ads that match their interests.
Businesses that find Social Media Ads useful include:
- Clothing companies
- Home goods
- Beauty and skincare
- Technology providers
- Food and beverage
Benefits of Facebook and Instagram Ads
Social media is a powerful method for retargeting potential customers and boasts a 20% higher retargeting conversion rate than search engine advertising. And since Facebook and Instagram are heavily image-based, it’s easier to grab users’ attention quickly.
Another benefit of social media advertising is that your ads aren’t dependent on search terms – meaning your target audience will see your ads without having to search for anything.
Finally, due to the granularity offered by Facebook and Instagram ad targeting, the ROI on social media tends to outpace the ROI of other traditional marketing methods.
Tips for advertising on Facebook and Instagram:
- You have 1-2 seconds to grab users’ attention, so branding and product benefits must be clear.
- Keep your content fresh and creative.
- Gifs or videos tend to grab interest better than images alone, so avoid using static content for ads.
- Keep video ads around 15-30 seconds.
- Informal and creative ads perform better than heavily scripted ads.
- Have a solid CTA leading to your website or e-commerce shop.
Which platform is right for you?
Each advertising platform has strengths and benefits, so the one you choose to start with depends on your business’s unique needs. Google Ads helps you find new customers quickly and, in the process, gives you an instant return on your marketing investment.
Facebook and Instagram Ads help new customers find you, which may give you a better ROI in the long run. As your business grows, these distinctive differences can be used together to maximize your business’ potential.
This helpful table by GoDaddy allows you to compare the advantages of each platform.
You know your ideal customer, and we know online digital marketing. Let us help get your business in front of the right people. Contact us today for a FREE consultation or to learn more about our services.